- Microsoft's handheld?
- Namco Bandai reduces forecast, plans acquisition
- Mortal Kombat: Armageddon to end it all?
- Midway's a shakin'
- Xbox 360 Korean launch
1. Microsoft's handheld?
A teaser Website, www.origamiproject.com, has been linked to a new Microsoft handheld -- and it looks like a cross between a tablet PC and a PSP. Early concept videos showed it running what looked like a full version of Halo, and specs have been bandied about for audio/video playing, gaming, and "all-day bettery life."
The site says, "You will ... Learn more on 3.2.06."
The site has navigation for "week 1", week 2", and "week 3", and only "week 1" is currently selectable, making the next few weeks leading up to the Game Developers Conference very interesting.
2. Namco Bandai reduces forecast, plans acquisition
So, Namco and Bandai joining foraces wasn't enough.
In a recent earnings forecast statement (reducing their forecast, Namco Bandai revealed they'll be buying out Banpresto, "Japanese developer of arcade machines, game machine prizes and console videogames".
Check out IGN.com for an impressive list of Banpresto's development and publishing credits.
3. Mortal Kombat: Armageddon to end it all?
- "YES, there will be another new diversion in Armageddon as well."
- "Armageddon does imply "The End" in a few ways. It is the end of MK on this generation of consoles. It also is the final battle between all the good and evil characters in the MK universe. We really want to close this chapter of Mortal Kombat."
- "The roster is ... a lot closer to 60 characters. Since the story really ties up all the loose ends from Mortal Kombat 1 all the way to Deception, we want to include everyone. Plus, since this final chapter is all about the final epic battle we need to explain what happens to EVERYONE, which means leaving no stone unturned."
- "We are going to be including all the boss characters from MK's past [as playable characters]."
- "Armageddon lets you define your fighting styles, right down to the attack associated with each button... [and lets] players take their created fighter and go online against other created fighters. "
- "Players can decide which fatalities they want to string together to form their own custom fatality."
- "... new parry feature and air-kombat ..."
4. Midway's a shakin'
Ithink it's almost time for the Midway Gamers Day, but I need to check on that.
Anyway, they continue to do cool stuff. They announced a collaboration between Vin Diesel's Tigon Studios and Viacom's MTV Films, Paramount Pictures and MTV Games to produce a game and movie called The Wheelman (and Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay, from Tigun and Starbreeze, was amazing). They also said they will co-publish and distribute Turbine, Inc.'s The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar in North America. Then there's Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and Unreal Tournament 2007.
5. Xbox 360 Korean launch
Microsoft said the initial batch of pre-order units in Korea sold out in only nine hours. I can't find numbers on the pre-orders, so I'm hope it's not "9".