Tuesday, December 20, 2005

5 Shopping days 'til Christmas: Spherex Xbox 5.1 on the cheap(er)

I first mentioned the Spherex Xbox 5.1 Surround Sound System way back in my pre-blog Email days.

Well, now the $499 list system is available from Outpost.com for $269.99 after $30 rebate. You might also be able to find it at the Fry's brick-and-mortar store for the same price, but if I find out it's sold out, I will be simultaneously impressed by my power of persuasion, and pissed that I didn't get a set of speakers.

Check out the deal here.

And given that this is nearly half the list price, and since the product is so solidly designed around the original Xbox esthetic, I asked the product guys at Spherex if this is clearing out stock before releasing an update modeled around the Xbox 360.

There answer?
"The design of the new Xbox 360 is definitely something that has been noticed here at Spherex. While we cannot confirm any details at this time, you may see something to match it in the future."
You heard it here, first.

UPDATE: Crap. Forgot to link to the Home Theater Magazine review.

And I forgot to mention you don't need a receiver for these, they don't do THX (so what?) and what makes them cool is their omnipolar feature -- which makes their "sweet spot" a much bigger chunk of the room.

No comments: