Monday, September 03, 2007

The games of September

September is a good month for gamers. It's not like BioShock and the Call of Duty 4 online beta aren't already sucking up my time.

Anyway, here are some of the games to which I'm looking forward (for a more complete list, check out IGN.com or GameSpot.com, and remember release dates are subject to change):

Stranglehold -- The premise of "playing a John Woo game" just really appeals to me. That excitement is curbed by this thing being in development for a looong time, and (at least in the demo) the cool "John Woo moments" grabbed at inopportune times -- kind of like how Gears of War used to (they bettered it in a patch). And that's tempered by initial reviews of the game, which seem pretty upbeat. (Xbox 360 version this week, and who knows when for the PC and PS3 versions, which keep getting pushed back).

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened -- Traditional PC adventure gaming? Sherlock Holmes? Disciples of Cthulhu? Sign me up -- I'm downloading the demo now! (PC)

Fatal Fury Special -- What's not to like about "remixed Fatal Fury 2"? (XBLA)

Heavenly Sword -- This action brawler beaut of a game has so much potential. I want the PS3 to have a console-selling title -- wonder if this is it? (PS3)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition -- Missed the defining RPG of the Xbox 360 (at least)? Get it with the Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles expansions -- for at least the same price as the base original ($60, though I predict some $40-$50 price points). (Xbox 360; PC)

Kengo: Legend of the 9 -- I like the premise of this one. Hack-n-slash, but playing historical Japanese heroes, switching between them, and co-op. I haven't seen anything about it other than repackaged press releases from Majesco, and a supposed showing at Leipzig, so I don't know if it's coming out this month, or whether this is "good Majesco" or "budget Majesco". (Xbox 360)

NHL 2K8 -- I miss hockey. (X360, PS2, PS3)

World in Conflict -- Because Red Dawn should have gotten an Oscar(TM). And I'm trying to find an RTS I like. (PC)

Eternal Sonata -- A gorgeous, charming RPG with a good mix of real-time and turn-based play. (Xbox 360)

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror -- I like the franchise, and this iteration looks to be a step up. (PS2)

Halo 3 -- It's freaking Halo 3. This thing is a fascinating marketing juggernaut to watch, even if it wasn't also quality product. I am a bit irked that I'm paying for at least part of the campaign left out in Halo 2. I'm buying it not just to "finish the fight", but to "finish the game". Oh, and for the sweet, sweet multiplayer. Comes out September 25th, and I'll see you in November(ish) -- for Mass Effect. (Xbox 360)

No comments: