Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Penny Arcade doesn't hate Gamebryo

(Ergh. There are so many things wrong with that faux endorsement, and I realize I'm setting myself up to be possibly harpooned by the brilliantly snarky (yet biting) barbs of Gabe and Tycho, but they've given me a launching point.)




I'm tickled Hidden Path Entertainment's Defense Grid: The Awakening, is doing so well (though the game's Halloweenie Website hurts my eyes).

As I've said before,
"I would characterize it as that new breed of title that is high production value, great bang-for-the-buck, and innovating under new challenging models of budget and timeline constraints. You should play this game."
Given how I feel about the game and the developer, I'm even more tickled the Gamebryo logo splashes at the game start up.

If possible, I'm even more more stoked Penny Arcade (or at least Tycho) loves the game. Not surprised, per se, because I think they like capable indie devs (and because I use "per se" quite a bit), but it's nice to see PA's appreciation for the game at PAX extending to a gushing about the "voice acting, production values, pretty much everything about it."

There's a free demo of the game, but at twenty bones to get a good game and support a good dev, you can save yourself a step by just buying the game.

Secondly, I'm regularly ridiculed at the office for my proclamation of love fanboy ardor for the Blood Bowl franchise -- So what? It's fantasy sports in an other-kind-of-fantasy candy shell, with gibbage filling. And now there's going to be a proper interactive video game for said gibbage-filled fantasies candy. And Tycho doesn't hate it.



(I'm sooo stoked for this game.)

And neither with Defense Grid nor Blood Bowl do Jerry or Mike (crap; broke the fourth wall) subject Gamebryo to their brand of intellectual belittlement.

So, that's something.

(Oh, and "gibbage-filled fantasies candy", "gibbage-filled candy", "candy with gibbage filling", and derivatives are (c) Copyright 2009 Adam Creighton.)

No comments: