Monday, May 11, 2009

What if 3D Realms "closing" isn't?

OK, this is (mostly) pure speculation (peppered with wishful thinking) on my part, but what if the recent 3D Realms shuttering is giant red herring?

I did a blip on this on Twitter at the time, but the more I think about it, the more I think this could be brilliant.

Think about it -- biggest, game-slash-vaporware industry joke, goes "belly up" 3 weeks before the rejuvenated Electronic Arts Expo. Lots o' art and video leaks out. LinkedIn updates, but not as much looking as I would have expected. Steady dribbling of information on the game and studio (compared to things like Free Radical, pre-Crytek pickup). Etc.

What better, brilliant viral marketing could there by than pretending to shutter, then coming out fingers flipping at E3 (hopefully, with a stellar, possibly first-party, publisher in tow)?

Fun to think about ...

No comments: