Saturday, June 18, 2011

X-Men: Destiny and Silicon Knights



My last post about next year's Transformers MMO linked to a post of mine from years ago about my ideas for the same type of game.

I also noticed in that same post that I'd want someone like Silicon Knights to do a "Too Human take" on licensed fare, and apply their "engagement theory" game design to established IP properties. (There's a nicely done video on their site that explains what they mean by their philosophy of game development).

Fast forward 5 years, and we've got an IP I dig (X-Men) getting the SK treatment in the form of the Activision-published X-Men: Destiny.

Sure, maybe the above is just a well-funded, slickly cut-together E3 trailer, but I'm genuinely stoked about the combinatorial potential of this game.

There's a high bar set by Raven Software's X-Men Legends games, and I'm hoping this new title is the same caliber.

No comments: