Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Circuit City Gears of War "street date change"

I don't know how prevalent this problem is, but it's at least with the Austin area Circuit City stores.

I waited until today to buy one of my more anticipated games for the Xbox 360, Gears of War from Circuit City, even though the game's been available since Tuesday midnight (Monday night).

Why?

Because they weren't getting it until Wednesday at 5 p.m., and I have 15% coupon, and they were giving away Gears faceplates. I'm weak.

So I get there today, having not bought it for 2 days, and they haven't received it yet. I'd been told they had it, but weren't releasing it until Wednesday at 5 p.m. Turns out they don't have it, period.

But what has me fired up is they have signs posting the game is delayed "due to change in the game's street date" -- which is categorically untrue. And at least one Circuit City manager to whom I spoke knows this.

So your product is late - so what? Say so (it's happening to some GameStop/EB Games stores).

But don't freaking lie about it, putting the blame on Microsoft/Epic Games as "changing the street date".

So I left and bought it at Best Buy. Yeah, I could wait a day and save $10 and/or get a faceplate, but I don't want to support the lack of business integrity evidenced by the displays in Circuit City stores.

Y'know, a one-time manager asked me if I was "willing to incur personal expense to 'do the right thing'?" -- Yes. Absolutely.

Yes, this is smaller than that, but integrity is still integrity, right?

UPDATED: Sadly, some would challenge me on the above post, so I've attached the pict of the sign Austin area Circuit City stores had posted on the Gears of War stand ups. I've highlighted the offending line for ease of reading.

Circuit City incorrectly says Gears of War delay is due to change in street date.

No comments: