Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Back online ...

OK, the blog is finally back online, after an outage since April 20th, when Blogger (Google) "force migrated" me (not as Star Wars as it sounds) from the old Blogger to the new Blogger, locked me out of the old Blogger, and didn't migrate this blog (my most trafficked / read blog). Thanks.

And, Blogger support didn't respond to my request for help, or tell me the issue was fixed. I've just been trying to migrate daily for the last 12 days, and today it worked.

So, I guess that's one way to do service support. But wait, since I manage that ... No, it's not.

And don't give me any crap about it being a "free" service.

Anywho, if you see wonkiness with my "migrated" blog, please let me know. Everything should look just the same to you.

By way of consequence, the new (non-video game) blog I'll be start on the creative front will likely not be hosted on Blogger. It might not be better, but given all of the pain I've had with Blogger.com since Google took over (admittedly, could be coincidental), and since I'm involved with a bunch of the community / social networking software out there, I owe it to myself to find out.

If you have opinions on WordPress, Community Server, TypePad, MoveableType, Habari, hosted SharePoint 2007, etc., (again) let me know.

Here are my high-level requirements:
  1. Robust
  2. Database-driven
  3. Permissions-based (i.e., a single post will show sub-sets of data depending on the permissions for the site -- "premiere" (la tee da) members get more "making of" and "cutting room floor" content.
  4. Seamless, safe, content-owner-protecting hosting and display of audio and video, integrated into the platform.

No comments: