Saturday, August 23, 2008

Leipzig GDC

I've been wicked busy at the video game job, so my coverage of the 2008 Games Convention in Leipzig has been ... non-existent.

You can find tagged GC '08 coverage at Kotaku and IGN:
My too-brief sum-up:
  • Art travesty
  • I'm going to explode waiting for MadWorld and Left 4 Dead
  • I wonder if Heavy Rain will be the system seller for me
  • The inclusion of the Joker and Green Lantern (and associated gameplay mechanics) give me hope MK vs. DCU won't be too derivative
  • Sony is pushing MMO on consoles by adding Free Realms to DC Universe Online and The Agency
  • The PS3 Wireless Keypad looks like a usability mistake (above the gamepad? WTF?)
  • The PSP 3000 (sleeker, brighter screen, microphone (Skype), etc.) could give Sony a decent revenue lift
  • Sony certainly seems to get that making the console the center of the living room takes space, and is meeting that need with a new 160Gb model (though I cry "hypocrite!" at their original public badmouthing of Microsoft's multiple Xbox 360 SKUs)
  • I'm hoping the new 360 game pad with non-crappy D-Pad is not a region-based limited release -- even though that means I'll need to buy 4 new controllers
  • Upcoming Gamebryo-powered PC / 360 action RPGer Divinity 2 -- Ego Draconis showed well and was received well
  • Spider-Man: Web of Shadows may lift the franchise out of its video game doldrums
  • I want to play the likes of Little Big Planet, Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic, and more, but they're not enough for me to buy a PS3 (for reference, if I didn't have one, I probably would have bought a 360 for Braid)
  • I feel like Microsoft's split focus on GC 2008 and X08 has made it hard for me to get first-party coverage on either

No comments: