Monday, July 31, 2006

Things I don't want to see in the Halo movie

I'm stoked about the Halo movie, tentatively slated for 2008 and produced by Lord of the Rings guru Peter Jackson.

I'm also nervous -- just like any fan of a favorite franchise is want to be. There are some things I don't want to see in the silver screen treatment.

Mr. Jackson, if you're listening:

  1. "Cute" aliens -- OK, the Covenant Grunts have a purpose. That purpose is cannon fodder. Mild comic relief is OK ("This waste of ammo, but me no care"), but don't overdo it. So, that means don't Jar Jar Binks or Ewok the grunts. Yes, those are verbs now.
  2. First-person moments -- The Doom movie did it, and it's about the only 10 redeeming minutes in the film for me. We don't need gimmicks in the Halo movie -- we need high space opera.
  3. Ice skating -- King Kong? OK, then you know what I'm talking about. I don't need a Disney-on-ice moment between Master Chief and Cortana. Please. (Though I'd gladly take a Disney-on-ice moment with Cortana.)

I'm sure I'll think of more things I don't want to see for the movie and Halo 3 video game. And I'll share.

No comments: