Thursday, June 28, 2007

My Xbox 360 is dead ...

OK, it didn't catch on fire like my original Xbox, and it has died before (twice), before teasing me and coming back to life and staying that way for a year and a half.

But now it's dead. Dead dead. Hung screen dead.

It started by delaying my weekly Monday night Halo 2 pwnage, then was fine for the night.

Things got progressively worse this week, until today, it hung every time I started. It hung on Gears of War (I was helping a buddy kill General RAAM, which we'd just done, then the thing hung, and ended his game, too; that sucked). It hung on Halo 2. It hung on the Dashboard. It hung on Carcassonne.

So I got on the phone with 1-800-My-Xbox. 10 minutes on hold. Then met a nice domestic sounding person who made me walk through all of the steps I'd already walked through from the Knowledgebase article (and this one, since that happened once).

I got this box the day of launch, so I'm well off warranty, and it's $140 to fix the beast. But that beats $300-400 for a new or refurbed one. And seriously, the Elite makes no sense to me.

I got off the first call to think about whether I was up for spending that money. When I got back on (after trying several more times to game), I got dialed into a very loud Indian call center, and had walk through all of the steps again, because the agent couldn't understand the previous ticket, and I had to convince her the thing was, indeed, hanging. And I had to keep reminding her it was my Xbox 360 was broken. Not an original Xbox. And not my personal PC.

So now, the repair process begins, and I'll chronicle it, Incredible Journey style, for all of you (except without the dogs and cats).

Here we go ...

No comments: