Wednesday, September 21, 2005

My Xbox just caught on fire! (Update 11)

Sordid History:Update 11:

OK, so the Xbox Support online chat facility was having problems (it worked fine last time), so I sent an Email to them yesterday requesting an update. Like last time, the Email (from Christian -- they're everywhere!) said it was "advised that you call the Xbox Customer Support number" (not sure why they even have Email support).

So I did. Got a nice, polite fellow ("Mon" -- as in "Hey, Mon!"), and after he verified my address and phone number, I had to restate my history again (I was really tempted to just point him to my blog. He then asked if he could put me on hold to read through the support incident history, came back to check on me, and put me back on hold to continue reviewing the history.

That done, and since the Xbox is on its way home, he asked if I my question was just whether I was going to be charged for the repairs or not.

OK, that's part of it, but I'm trying to find out what went wrong, what was fixed, and how do I know my Xbox isn't going to catch on fire again when I turn it on?

So, I got transfered to Support Escalation Supervisor Chris (the guy I bonded with last time). He sounded very tired today.

I found out (A) My Xbox wasn't repairable (surprise, surprise), and (B) they were sending me a new Xbox. This was mildly exciting until asked whether it was really new, or refurbished (turns out it's refurbished).

Chris didn't have info on anything else -- evidently there's a separation between the repair factor and Xbox Support (much like Church and State), so he advised I wait until tomorrow (the scheduled delivery date of my refurbished Xbox), and see what explanation is included in the box. He also told me ("even though we don't normally do this"), he would see if he could get more information from the repair folks. And he gave me his extension so I could call back -- seriously, that's Customer Service.

And, I finally did mention I've been blogging about this, and am looking for an answer on the near-spontaneous combustion question, to pass on to my adoring readership (I was much less sarcastic when I told him about it).

Meanwhile, X-Men Legends II and Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects have both shipped ...

No comments: